Go Back   Frame Rate Issues > PC Gaming and Tech > PC Discussions

Old 20-05-09, 05:20 PM   #1
Flusaka

Send a message via MSN to Flusaka
Default Newsgroups and such

I've finally decided to give Newsgroups a try, I've mainly not bothered before because I didn't really understand how it worked but I've decided to give it a try.

Basically, I'm wanting to know what other people on here use, your recommendations etc. and also what clients you use to access them? Preferably I'd like one with a free trial so I can see how I get on with it. And I'm assuming I'm correct that you need a client (this is how inexperienced I am with them).
Flusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-09, 05:36 PM   #2
Tomo
Manuscript Replica

Send a message via MSN to Tomo Send a message via Skype™ to Tomo

I use Giganews for my provider and have done for almost a year now I think. I've never had a problem with it, retention is great, completion rate is second to none. Only problem is it's a bit expensive.

I know Dan used Giganews for ages and moved to Newsdemon as it's cheaper than Giganews and offers basically the same service, but I can't say much about it myself.

Client wise, I don't believe there's a better client than NewsLeecher. Especially with the SuperSearch service, it's just so handy. NewsLeecher will group the files you wanna download, and if you set it to it will extract the files to a neat directory labelled relevant to the group with the filename as a folder so nothing is unorganised. It'll also delete the ZIP files once it's done so you don't have to do it yourself. It's a good piece of software.

I know Giganews has a free trial and NewsLeecher does too, so you could check those out. You might want to wait for Dan's opinion though.
Old 20-05-09, 05:43 PM   #3
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan

I am currently on Newdemon, purely because they offer what seems to be an equal service to Giganews (been on them for 3 weeks and not issues what so ever, just like Giganews), but they cost half the price. Giganews bill in Euros so after exchange rates my bill had increased from 15-16 to almost 23 a month. It's 12 at Newsdemon.

That's for the SSL encrypted, unlimited download option too, which is the best buy really, and unless you have a Fair use policy and want to try to match that so you won't go over each month I'd take the option.

I use Newsleecher client, v4 Beta 3 currently (3.9 Final if you don't want a test version, but it's pretty stable for a Beta). The new one has a scheduler so if you want to slow down or stop your downloads at certain times of the day, you can. I use Newsleecher (and re-buy it every year) because of it's search function. 18 I think it costs me (probably more again this year, depending on the billing currecy). For which you get unlimited upgrades within that time if you choose (new version) and access to their search servers so you don't need to download headers for all the groups all the time. But that is an option.

Of course you can visit NZB sites like http://tvnzb.com/ which post materials in categories for you to search, again avoiding downloading headers to your machine and searching through them all (search function within the group section so you can look for things, that way, rather than scroll through the whole listings).

Newsdemon and Newsleecher have limited trial offers. And Newsdemons site and newsleechers forums both have guides for set-up, but ask if you need anything if you want to try them out.

Te only downside I see is that Rapidshare just seems to be the better buy really. I's much cheaper on the whole, no extra software. If you haven't considered that I probably would. Granted the retention may not be great (I cannot comment, but I know RS do prune often, no idea what the mean uptime of a file is though) but chances are you can find sites where people will re-up stuff for you after RS have deleted it. I'll probably always be on the NGs but RS is a great viable option, and they do SSL too, so only them and you can see what you are downloading, no 'inbetweeners' (like the Government, or hackers for whatever music group).
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-09, 05:47 PM   #4
Solid Snake

Isnt this against the law?
Old 20-05-09, 05:47 PM   #5
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Isnt this against the law?
No.
Old 20-05-09, 05:50 PM   #6
Flusaka

Send a message via MSN to Flusaka

Yeah the one advantage I saw of Newsgroup is because it's all binary files that it's more difficult to trace than physically downloading something from somewhere like RapidShare. Think I'll have a look into Newsdemon then.

Is it easy enough to set up the client to just do everything? From what people said at work is it downloads a bunch of files and then it does some stuff and eventually you get the file you wanted, but that clients do this for you? (I know Tomo mentioned something along those lines). I'm just looking for user friendliness really, as long as it's easy enough to use then that's fine by me.
Flusaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-09, 05:52 PM   #7
Solid Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillingerdan View Post
No.
Really? Isnt this like downloading movie's, films, games, TV show's and shizzle?
Old 20-05-09, 05:54 PM   #8
Tomo
Manuscript Replica

Send a message via MSN to Tomo Send a message via Skype™ to Tomo

Basically, you'll download the files from NewsLeecher, and if you have the settings to monitor your download queue, to repair any broken files and to extract then it'll do just that for you. Say for example you downloaded an episode of Lost with the said settings, NewsLeecher will download it, and when it's finished downloading it will repair it (only if it's broken of course) and it will then extract the contents of the zips (in this case a video file) to a folder for you to open. It's really simple after you've done it once really.
Old 20-05-09, 06:03 PM   #9
Bladerunner

Send a message via MSN to Bladerunner

Quote:
Really? Isnt this like downloading movie's, films, games, TV show's and shizzle?
No.
Old 20-05-09, 06:06 PM   #10
Vado
Awesome!

Send a message via MSN to Vado Send a message via Skype™ to Vado

I use rapidshare and it too is in euro and billing has went up but even then, it's still not that bad. 6.99 (euro) for 30 days which currently is just over 6 (23 cent per day) and for longer durations you buy, the cheaper it gets, cheapest being a year for just over 48 (15 cent per day).

Also, with rapidshare you can do some uploading for every 10,000 rapidpoints you can exchange them for 30 days free rapidshare. If you buy the year package, you get 12,000 rapidpoints so you could even extend it for an extra 30 days. You can also use rapidpoints to exchange for gifts or you can set it in the settings to use rapidpoints if you run out of download traffic (150 rapidpoints for a few gig, can't remember what you get exactly)

To fight against the price going up due to the euro, they've enhanced the service also.:
- Previously you only collect 15gb of traffic, you can now collect 25gb
- Previously you only got 2.44gb a day of download traffic, now you get 5gb
- Happy Hours have been implemented between 1am and 9am which only uses 10% of the download traffic you use (so for every 1gb you down, it only takes 100mb off your download traffic)
- They've also expanded the capacities of their servers which means they're able to maintain to provide high speeds for their premium users

As Dan said, it's also SSL encrypted.

There's plenty of sites around to find links to download from aswell. The main ones i use are Tehparadox, RSLinks and WarezBB. All you need to do is search through the search option or just browse the topics. Plenty more sites around but those are my favourite to use which keep up-to-date with plenty of links.

Most things that get taken down by rapidshare either have other links which you can download from or will normally be re-upped fairly quickly anyway or if someone doesnt seem to be re-upped then you could always request it if the board has a request section.

You can use programs such as Internet Download Manager which will add an option in your browser so that when you right-click there will be an option for "Download with IDM" which means that when are downloading something, instead of having to select all the links one-by-one, you can just highlight them all and select Download with IDM which will be added to queue. In IDM, you'll have to go to the options and link your rapidshare account but it only takes a few seconds. There's also a scheduler were u can get it to start downloading or stop downloading at a certain time and to shutdown your pc when it's done if you wish

Steam ID - Malevado // PSN ID - Malevado
Vado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-09, 06:26 PM   #11
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
Basically, you'll download the files from NewsLeecher, and if you have the settings to monitor your download queue, to repair any broken files and to extract then it'll do just that for you. Say for example you downloaded an episode of Lost with the said settings, NewsLeecher will download it, and when it's finished downloading it will repair it (only if it's broken of course) and it will then extract the contents of the zips (in this case a video file) to a folder for you to open. It's really simple after you've done it once really.
Yeah this basically. The new Newsleecher (v4) actually bundles most posts like TV show files for example into the RARs and PARs automatically into one group within the search, and the download queue now. It will pause the PARs and will download them if you need them (that's a setting, so can be customised, that's how I have it). When you search now things appear with "+" boxes next to them grouping them together so you just click the box next to it and it'll download everything in that set, as and when needed, and you can set the repair and extract to extract and repair files (as I said, if it needs them it'll un-pause PARs and uses them if it needs to repair the file, but again a setting) to a specific folder, or group folder, it's OWN folder, your choice, within the settings pane.

Quote:
Newsgroups are essentially bulletin boards, they were the forums of the internet before the proper bulletin boards, except you posted text files to each other, it's been expended for binary files, so anything is shareable really. Not illegal in itself, but the content can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vado View Post
I use rapidshare and it too is in euro and billing has went up but even then, it's still not that bad. 6.99 (euro) for 30 days which currently is just over 6 (23 cent per day) and for longer durations you buy, the cheaper it gets, cheapest being a year for just over 48 (15 cent per day).

Also, with rapidshare you can do some uploading for every 10,000 rapidpoints you can exchange them for 30 days free rapidshare. If you buy the year package, you get 12,000 rapidpoints so you could even extend it for an extra 30 days. You can also use rapidpoints to exchange for gifts or you can set it in the settings to use rapidpoints if you run out of download traffic (150 rapidpoints for a few gig, can't remember what you get exactly)

To fight against the price going up due to the euro, they've enhanced the service also.:
- Previously you only collect 15gb of traffic, you can now collect 25gb
- Previously you only got 2.44gb a day of download traffic, now you get 5gb
- Happy Hours have been implemented between 1am and 9am which only uses 10% of the download traffic you use (so for every 1gb you down, it only takes 100mb off your download traffic)
- They've also expanded the capacities of their servers which means they're able to maintain to provide high speeds for their premium users

As Dan said, it's also SSL encrypted.

There's plenty of sites around to find links to download from aswell. The main ones i use are Tehparadox, RSLinks and WarezBB. All you need to do is search through the search option or just browse the topics. Plenty more sites around but those are my favourite to use which keep up-to-date with plenty of links.

Most things that get taken down by rapidshare either have other links which you can download from or will normally be re-upped fairly quickly anyway or if someone doesnt seem to be re-upped then you could always request it if the board has a request section.

You can use programs such as Internet Download Manager which will add an option in your browser so that when you right-click there will be an option for "Download with IDM" which means that when are downloading something, instead of having to select all the links one-by-one, you can just highlight them all and select Download with IDM which will be added to queue. In IDM, you'll have to go to the options and link your rapidshare account but it only takes a few seconds. There's also a scheduler were u can get it to start downloading or stop downloading at a certain time and to shutdown your pc when it's done if you wish
See what I mean, with a search site (essentially the equivalent of an NZB index site), you can find most things pretty easily. Granted it's not as powerful as the newsgroups, but they are essentially the same thing, just the newsgroups have been around a lot longer, so indexing is a bit more evolved, so you'll maybe find files more easily.
Old 20-05-09, 06:39 PM   #12
Bladerunner

Send a message via MSN to Bladerunner

Can't use newsgroup here at uni, so I had to make do with RapidShare, and for the ease I think I'll stick to it now. Some of the download mangers for RapidShare add great functionality and pretty easy to use.

Also with SSL encryption your just as safe.
Old 20-05-09, 08:12 PM   #13
Chris
HYPE ACTIVE GOBLIN HEHEHE

Ive been using giganews but seeing what dan just said looks like im moving over lol!
Old 20-05-09, 08:27 PM   #14
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Ive been using giganews but seeing what dan just said looks like im moving over lol!
Do, I've had no problems what so ever so far. Only problem I have is Newsleecher end, with the search service not picking up files in sets properly, most things I have tried to download have been successful. Only exception was Crank and I was downloading from one of the most popular groups from well over 100 days ago. Even with climbing retnetion, most groups won't go massively high in the day count, 100 days for the really busy ones, maybe more, regardless of your service provider.

Giganews are just too expensive. I told them that was the reason I was leaving and they offered me 3 months half price (which they offer to newbies), but it works out about the same as Newsdemon and only for 3 months.
Old 20-05-09, 10:31 PM   #15
justjake

Which is safer for viruses and why? I'm really thinking of getting something like this.