Go Back   Frame Rate Issues > PC Gaming and Tech > PC Discussions

Old 17-05-09, 05:43 PM   #1
Solid Snake

Default Broadband!

I would like to change my current one. Im on tiscali.

I would like to pay no more than 20, with 8gb speeds and unlimited downloads.

Or say one thats 28 or less with line rental
Old 17-05-09, 05:48 PM   #2
bobs99
Uh-oh

in same situation, however snake i think a while back tiscalli upgraded ALL its members to 8 meg for free, so may be worth phoning em up and seeing if you got that, personally i didnt as my line was so shitty, that put me off moving providers as i cant get past 2 meg whereever i sign up to!

http://bobs99.mybrute.com/ - i could do with the pupil's, and a challenge
bobs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 05:52 PM   #3
Solid Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs99 View Post
in same situation, however snake i think a while back tiscalli upgraded ALL its members to 8 meg for free, so may be worth phoning em up and seeing if you got that, personally i didnt as my line was so shitty, that put me off moving providers as i cant get past 2 meg whereever i sign up to!
Dont think I did get it, as mines pretty slow. Its just Tiscali are being taken over or something.
Old 17-05-09, 06:09 PM   #4
Vado
Awesome!

Send a message via MSN to Vado Send a message via Skype™ to Vado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Dont think I did get it, as mines pretty slow. Its just Tiscali are being taken over or something.
probably for the better. They're shit anyway

Steam ID - Malevado // PSN ID - Malevado
Vado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 09:20 PM   #5
Cezzie

Tiscali are being taken over by Carphone Warehouse I believe.

Cezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 09:33 PM   #6
bobs99
Uh-oh

any idea how this will impact the service? - reckon itl go largely unnoticed?

i really dont want my net getting messed up, if it is may as well take opportunity to switch providers!

http://bobs99.mybrute.com/ - i could do with the pupil's, and a challenge
bobs99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 10:13 PM   #7
-PsYcHo-MaN-
Hello o_O

Send a message via ICQ to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via AIM to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via MSN to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Yahoo to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Skype™ to -PsYcHo-MaN-

Odds are, like with NTL, they will just rebrand it, but to prevent service disruption not change anything under the branding, which is why VirginMedia still comes up as NTL when you do anything to do with WHOIS. I still connect to the world via the "nott.cable.ntl.com" hub.

You may get a price rise from the change over (didn't happen with VM, but these things happen), but otherwise you shouldn't notice any difference.
Old 17-05-09, 10:29 PM   #8
Prof. Drum

Bethere.co.uk
Old 17-05-09, 11:18 PM   #9
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -PsYcHo-MaN- View Post
Odds are, like with NTL, they will just rebrand it, but to prevent service disruption not change anything under the branding, which is why VirginMedia still comes up as NTL when you do anything to do with WHOIS. I still connect to the world via the "nott.cable.ntl.com" hub.

You may get a price rise from the change over (didn't happen with VM, but these things happen), but otherwise you shouldn't notice any difference.
I doubt Carphone warehouse will change the name, they didn't with AOL, and if anything, they may merge those 2 together, as AOL is the bigger of the 2. Tiscali also has the advantage of having an LLU service. Unfortunately, they inforce 100GB "Fair Use" a month, so you may aswell ignore the "Unlimited" moniker on it's packages. AOL now do LLU, and again, 100GB.

Only LLUs are worth going with. As they offer truly unlimited Downloads, at least almost all the others do.

Bethere, as Gorre posted, Sky, Virgin (they use Cable & Wireless's LLU for their non cable network, and I am sure someone told me they are somewhat unlimited, can't guarantee it, but chances are it's the same as on their Cable network, so a decent allowance every day in peak hours, and unlimited thereafter). There are others, but most are shitty phone companies, and the only decent one of those is O2, if you can get them (they ARE Bethere, they own them, and set up their own service on the side, and TBF you're probably better off with Bethere).

Check Samknows.com, it lists all LLUs on your exchange, just go through them and see which is best, but check their "Unlimited" service small print for allowance.

Otherwise apart from the 3 biggies above I don't think there is any truly unlimited Broadband service, and you definitely won't be paying 20 for a service unless you can get Be. Sky tie you into their TV service, and Virgin are a bit more expensive.
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-09, 11:33 PM   #10
Shad0w

I was with Be and they were great, until my subscription ran out, I rang up to renew it on the same day and they said they were full and no longer taking customers in my area. Proper gutted. So I'm on O2 now, paying about 17/month for some shitty 6 meg package (supposed to be more but apparently this area can only handle 6 meg- which is a lie since Be had us on 24Mbps).

Although our phone line has been cut off for a couple of weeks now because we didn't pay our bills (they've not been mailed to us but emailed to a guy who used to live here), not sure why we still have interwebs.
Shad0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-09, 12:19 AM   #11
Solid Snake

Doesnt do my area
Old 18-05-09, 12:23 AM   #12
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Doesnt do my area
Do you NEED more than 100GB a month though? I doubt it, TBH. I can pile through 3 times that amount easily, but I download like evrything in HD (720p files), so chances are even with music, TV shows whatever else, you won't need more. Just ring up Tiscali and go onto their 15 "Unlimited" SLASH 100GB package, with 8Mbps. Just make sure you don't get tied into another 12 months when doing so, make sure you can leave at any time (monthly contracts). Then if you start gbetting limited, then you can move on, at least it shows you how much bandwidth you really use, which I doubt is more than 100GB/month.
Old 18-05-09, 12:27 AM   #13
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs99 View Post
Check out Samknows, if you can get an LLU check them out, as they install their own hardware into the cabinets, so you can get ADSL2 and ADSL2+ services before BT officially installs them (and then all ISPs can use them).
Old 18-05-09, 06:07 AM   #14
Prof. Drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0w View Post
I was with Be and they were great, until my subscription ran out, I rang up to renew it on the same day and they said they were full and no longer taking customers in my area. Proper gutted. So I'm on O2 now, paying about 17/month for some shitty 6 meg package (supposed to be more but apparently this area can only handle 6 meg- which is a lie since Be had us on 24Mbps).

Although our phone line has been cut off for a couple of weeks now because we didn't pay our bills (they've not been mailed to us but emailed to a guy who used to live here), not sure why we still have interwebs.
That's odd, cause Be and 02 are essentially the same thing
Old 18-05-09, 09:07 AM   #15
Halbarad
F�hrer

Arse Race Champion! Base Jumping Champion! Breakout Champion! Population Tire Champion! SD-Pong Champion! Adam & Eva Champion!

I'm on O2 and I have been for a bit now and I cant complain at their service. It's been a fast and reliable connection for me for a long time and I've never had any problems with my insane download habits

Xbox Live : Halbarad Loire
Halbarad is offline   Reply With Quote