dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan
Default BTs Fibre network: First exchanges

BT announces it's first few exchanges to get post 21CN:

Quote:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/249988/b...bre-first.html

BT has revealed the locations of the first 29 exchanges to be connected to its forthcoming fibre network. Around 500,000 homes and businesses will be connected during the initial rollout, which BT claims will begin early next year.

The fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC) technology will offer download speeds of up to 40Mbits/sec, although BT claims its early pilots of the technology in London and Wales have raised the prospect of FTTC hitting 60Mbits/sec.

Unsurprisingly, the vast majority of the initial 29 locations are inner-city urban areas, which offer the best return on investment for both BT and its ISP partners. That's unlikely to impress campaigners, who have urged the Government to invest in high-speed broadband for rural areas.
Many of the areas covered by BT's initial rollout will already have access to Virgin's cable network, which offers speeds of up to 50Mbits/sec in some areas.

However,BT will deploy fibre in two rural towns - Calder Valley (near Halifax) and Taffs Well (near Cardiff) - to "learn lessons from deploying fibre in such environments".

The plans are only a small step towards BT's target of connecting 10 million homes to fibre by 2012.

The company says it will reveal the locations for stage two of its rollout this autumn.

The 29 exchanges that will be connected to BT's 40Mbits/sec network by 2010 are:

CHELMSFORD, Essex
ST. ALBANS, Hertfordshire
WATFORD, Hertfordshire
HEMEL HEMPSTEAD, Hertfordshire
LEAGRAVE, Bedfordshire
LUTON, Bedfordshire
CANONBURY, London
CHINGFORD, London
EDMONTON, London
ENFIELD, London
HIGHAMS PARK, London
TOTTENHAM, London
THAMESMEAD, London
WOOLWICH, London
BURY, Greater Manchester
DIDSBURY, North West
FAILSWORTH, Greater Manchester
HEATON MOOR, Greater Manchester
OLDHAM, Greater Manchester
RUSHOLME, Greater Manchester
BELFAST BALMORAL, Belfast
DEAN, Edinburgh
GLASGOW HALFWAY, Glasgow
GLASGOW WESTERN, Glasgow
CARDIFF, Cardiff
TAFFS WELL, Rhondda Cynon Taf
HALIFAX, West Yorkshire
PUDSEY, West Yorkshire
CALDER VALLEY, West Yorkshire
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-09, 02:51 PM   #2
-PsYcHo-MaN-
Hello o_O

Send a message via ICQ to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via AIM to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via MSN to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Yahoo to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Skype™ to -PsYcHo-MaN-

40MB? NTL/Virgin are looking to offer 150MB by then.

Linky.
Old 28-03-09, 11:25 PM   #3
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan

Yeah but the difference is, BT have an established network of pretty much the whole country, and Virgin have like 25 houses, and they refuse to spread (and they are in massive debt anyway). It's great for those 25 people in the UK, but otherwise it's shit pointless to even compare. BT will push this, but the FTTC is then limited by the copper lines to the houses from the exchange.
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-09, 11:31 PM   #4
Tomo
Manuscript Replica

Send a message via MSN to Tomo Send a message via Skype™ to Tomo

The network BT has established is outdated though. It can't match Virgin's, especially in places like Liverpool where 85% of Internet connections are with Virgin. BT are targeting places with a lot of new housing estates and such where Virgin don't have lines to install their new lines, and in that small number of places it might compete with Virgin, speed wise. Even though Virgin's lines can handle up to 500MB or something silly. BT can't just pull up all its twisted copper cable.
Old 29-03-09, 10:17 PM   #5
-PsYcHo-MaN-
Hello o_O

Send a message via ICQ to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via AIM to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via MSN to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Yahoo to -PsYcHo-MaN- Send a message via Skype™ to -PsYcHo-MaN-

Plus NTL aim to drop all packages smaller than 10MB by the end of the year (everyone below that gets a free upgrade), sure they still have sporadic coverage for those down south, but up here coverage is great.

Damn near everyone here uses NTL, I know uni (and pretty much everyone I talked to in the Manchester area) used NTL. BT just doesn't cut the mustard in the civilised world.