Go Back   Frame Rate Issues > PC Gaming and Tech > PC Discussions

Old 20-05-09, 10:38 PM   #16
Chris
HYPE ACTIVE GOBLIN HEHEHE

All a newsgroup is, is a server that lets you download stuff. Viruses come from what your downloading not what server your using.

Though i tend to find virus's often on application stuff so i use nzb sites rather than super search.
Old 20-05-09, 10:49 PM   #17
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All a newsgroup is, is a server that lets you download stuff. Viruses come from what your downloading not what server your using.

Though i tend to find virus's often on application stuff so i use nzb sites rather than super search.
Yeah applications seem to always have viruses but that's mostly due to the fact most virus software report cracks as viruses. As they modiy code, so they are always a Variant of something or other. Seriously, those are the only problems. Just make sure you use your firewall to keep programs getting out, especially if you are cracking them.

But I don't think you'll run into many viruses these days, people will always post them, but on the NGs you'll find the odd one, so it's unavoidable there too, unless you managed to see the warning if someone posted one before you download the files.
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 05:30 PM   #18
Beasty
oodle doodle

Send a message via MSN to Beasty

How do I use a site like nfohump, maybe I'm missing something very obvious but I see no way of downloading information so I can download said file into my newsreader with them, or is that the point?!
Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 06:22 PM   #19
Arioch
Rev. Timothy Bumcheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
How do I use a site like nfohump, maybe I'm missing something very obvious but I see no way of downloading information so I can download said file into my newsreader with them, or is that the point?!
Having just looked into it myself, the long and short of it is that you don't From the looks of things, all NFOhump is there to do is to let you know what's out so you can google it yourself.

Unless I'm missing something too?

The fix is in
The odds that I got were delicious
The fix is in
The jockey is cocky and vicious
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 07:42 PM   #20
dillingerdan
SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Americas Army Champion!
Send a message via Yahoo to dillingerdan

nfohump is just that. An index of NFOs that you get with releases. They contain the majority of info you need to download if the release group is any good, like file names, size, amount of parts so you don't get a fake repacked release with a virus or something.

For newsgroups you need NZBs which contain the download info for all the files you need. Look for NZB sites.
dillingerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-09, 09:27 PM   #21
Beasty
oodle doodle

Send a message via MSN to Beasty

Was coming to that conclusion, was taking me long enough though so cheers!
Beasty is offline   Reply With Quote